An average person reads only 25% of the web page but views every image. Are you certain that your product images on Amazon attract people with its professional look? If not, you might be persistently losing a significant amount of possible sales! Before you list your products, it is crucial to familiarize yourself with Amazon Product Photography Guidelines.
According to Forbes, more than 300,000 small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) in the US are selling their products on Amazon. That is a lot of competition and can make it tough for you to stand out.
So if your aim as an Amazon seller and a product photographer is to increase conversion rates, get a greater amount of clicks, and impress would-be customers, you need to create alluring product photos and here is your Amazon Product Photography Guidelines on how to achieve that.
Amazon Product Photography Guidelines
In reality, not all Amazon product photo requirements are as complicated as you might have thought. Then again, the problem is in other facets. Amazon has displayed its product photo rules on numerous websites. Very often, they even refute leading to a huge number of misunderstandings. This is the main reason why the beginning sellers find it difficult to put them together.
Why Skilled Product Photography is Vital for Amazon Listings?
Let us start with the technical Amazon product photo requirements. For Amazon to accept your product photo, it definitely should meet some basic requirements. The key factor you should know before starting is that each time more restrictions are applied to the primary photos whereas the secondary photographs of the product will not face strict uploading requirements.
|· Format: jpeg, tiff, PNG or gif
· Image Size: 500px-10,000px
§ Preferred- 1000px or larger
§ Recommended- 2560px width
§ Longest Side- 1000px
· Color Mode: sRGB or CMYK
· Crop Ratio: 1:1-5:1
· Max File Size: 10 Mb
- In terms of the longest side, the picture dimension in the minimum figure should not be less than 500 pixels, whereas the maximum dimension figure should not exceed 10,000 pixels else it will take too long to upload
- On the contrary, while zooming the picture, ensure that the shortest side is 500 pixels and the longest side maybe 10,000 pixels
- Varied picture formats are accepted including PNG, JPEG, GIF, and TIFF but JPEG is always in favor
- The size of the uploaded photo should not be more than 10 Mb
- The preferred Amazon image aspect ratio is 1:1. However, depending on the product and purpose, it can go up to 5:1
What are the most suitable photo settings?
|Suitable Photo Settings
|· 2000X2000 pixels, Square
· Cropped to Product Edge
· 100% Compression, JPEG
- The maximum zoom for the product photos should not be more than 2000X2000 pixels. Hence, it will be a square picture
- For getting the biggest place for image description and listing, simply crop the photos as close to the product you can
- When saving the edited file, choose 100% compression, else Amazon will compress it while uploading the picture
- If you are given the color mode option, save the photo in sRGB color mode. However, it is almost always the default setting
Of course, there are more possible requirements in the Amazon Product Photography, but these are the basics that will give you a start.
Amazon Product Photography Guidelines for Images of the Main Listings
|Primary Image Listing Requirements
|· Must be clear and without blurring
· Fill at least 85% of the image area
· Pure 255 White Background around the product
· Only the product that’s for sale and out of the packaging
- Amazon will only accept product with a clear white background (the best choice from RGB is 255)
- The product should cover more than 85% of the space
- The uploaded product images should represent the product on sale
- In addition, only the product should be displayed and avoid including packaging or other products
What you cannot do with your Main Listing Photos?
- The photos of the product you upload must only be the real image of the product you are selling. You are not allowed to upload graphic images or illustrations
- The primary photo must not include the accessories that come with the product or additional products that the customer has to buy separately
- The image you upload should not contain watermarks, logos, or text of description
- Amazon allows Multiple views of the product in the main listing photo
- As per the latest Amazon Product Photography Guidelines for clothing, the items must not be displayed on a visible mannequin except for stockings or socks. Amazon only allows ghost mannequin photography
- The photos must not sport visible brand tags, again, except for stocking and socks
- In order to retain high-quality, the photos cannot have torn or jagged edges, cannot be blurred, cropped in a wrong way, or have visible pixels
Amazon Product Photography Guidelines for Clothing
|· No obscene or sexually explicit photos
· Flat photography for accessories
· Two Options: Model or Flat
- There are only two possible options for shooting clothing photos – either on a model or flat
- It is crucial to photograph the accessories flat (accessories include hats, ties, scarves, belts, or other accessories for cold weather)
- If you sell kids’ clothing, they should also be photographed either flat or on model
- Photographs of intimate apparels like lingerie or swimwear should not be obscene or sexually explicit
Amazon Product Photography Guidelines – Taking Product Pictures for Amazon
Truth to be told, high-quality and dazzling product photography for Amazon is quite complicated. Still, it should not scare you. On the brighter side, it may comfort you. Therefore, if you struggle to get great product photos and the result doesn’t satisfy you, that’s not your fault. But we can help you get a few things right.
#1 Set Up Products in Sale with White Background
As we have said earlier, when it comes to technical image requirements; only white background is accepted. If you don’t want to approach a studio, the best budget solution can be just a white fabric or ironed bed sheets. Also, white sheet of paper might also come handy.
There is no better option for professional lighting than ‘soft white lighting.’ For product photography, you can invest in a decent light box. In case, if your product is quite large, one light box will not be enough. At least 3-4 light boxes will be required for larger products as they will help diffuse the light and eliminate the shadows. LED light is always the best.
As you know that the product should occupy 85% of the image, it becomes difficult for small products like key chains, knives, or products that are too thin and long to fit the required size. However, Amazon will accept it if you crop it as close to the displayed items as possible.
- Tweak the photo angles and you will understand the best ways to display the product in the dynamic range
- Of course, you can crop and trim the photos later, but it advised to check beforehand that no edges will be cut off
- It is crucial to pay attention to the lines, horizontal and vertical lines must be straight in order to cause any disruption
Types of Product Photos that will Help you Generate More Sales
#1 Competitor Comparison Chart
In the recent few years, competition on Amazon has only become tougher. This is because of the fact that comparison charts have lowered the introductory barriers for the new sellers. Now, in order to be on top and actively sell goods, you need to determine some unique goods and produce really great product photographs. You can show that your product is unique by simply comparing it with your competitor. Creating a competitor comparison chart is quite easy.
You need to deport unique information about your product to your target audience that none of your closest competitors has to offer. You can achieve this by creating comparison charts. These charts will do the work for your potential customers, as they don’t have to compare the products themselves.
#2 Sale/Discount Promotions
Free shipping, coupons, discounts, and much more are actively used by the Amazon seller to lure as many potential buyers as possible and increase their sales. We recommend creating a special product photo that will draw your audiences’ attention to the discounts and offers.
It can be professional photographs with call-to-action words like “hurry up,” “Discount percentage (for example- 65% off),” and more. However, you have to understand that these types of photos cannot be inserted as the primary listing photo. If you do so, Amazon will block your account.
Usually, this type of images displaying discount percentage and other offers are ideal last photos.
Read More to Learn About Optimizing Amazon Listing:
If you think that Amazon product photos only serve the purpose of providing the right visual image of the products, you are wrong. The product images are an essential tool that acts as a communication medium between the vendor and the customer.
Every detail of photography for products should be presented in the best possible way, particularly the instructions. How many times does it happen when the buyer doesn’t understand the instructions on the use of a product and either avoid it or remarks it as too complicated? We guess many times! If this happens, your customer will most likely leave a negative product and service feedback.
The long-winded and complicated instructions can easily spoil your rating. You make product instruction photos with carefully written and well-presented directions of use.
If you want to boost your Amazon FBA sales, you need to understand how to make descriptions better. Picture yourself as a buyer. Do you have the time and patience to read the unreasonably detailed dry text? Or, do the massive bullet list even interest you? Obviously, detailed product information, the keyword used and the bullet points are all crucial and we are not saying that you should avoid having them on your page.
If you put all the information about the product including the benefits and features into a photo, it will work much better for the customer. It can be text-based photos of the product or a photo with the pricing of the product presenting all the features and benefits.
For products that we use daily like cosmetics, clothes, and accessories including various personal care devices, it is crucial to do lifestyle product photography. This will help you understand how your product looks in life, rather than a studio shoot (boring) photo with a white background.
Using a white background for product photography will make it affordable, as it is cheaper. But if you think about the cost, it will affect your quality of sales especially when you are selling lifestyle products. Demonstrate a good environment for the product, which the customers can relate to.
Amazon Product Photography Guidelines- Things that are Not Allowed in Amazon Primary Product Photography
There are certain factors that you must take care of when creating pictures for your Amazon products. Some of them include:
- Blurry/hazy picture with wrong filters will not do any good
- Avoid using Vignettes
- Too much Visible Editing will make your product look animated
- Avoid adding lifestyle photos or collage of different angle products
- Avoid adding props or accessories that are unnecessary and doesn’t relate to the product you sell
- Do not include texts as well in the primary photo
- Always display the item outside of a box or packaging
This is our Amazon Product Photography Guidelines for you. We hope that going through the mentioned points will help you get a better understanding of how to use the product image at its best. When it comes to boosting Amazon FBA sales, creating high-quality images in the most important. Your potential buyers would want to know exactly what they are getting. So show them the benefits and features of the product, and how it will fill the gap in your customer’s life.
Triple Your FBA Sales With One
(by Using Our Powerfull FBA Research tool)
- Customized Weekly Research Report generated using our machine learning algorithms with latest trending product ideas directly in your inbox
- Track competitor products and Track Up to 400 Products among the millions of products available
- Track Sentiment Analysis of your Products and competitors and respond to customer feedback and Massively Increase Existing Product Earnings.